Ask NAPCA – Important information on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid Redetermination


National Asian Pacific Center on Aging (NAPCA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of AANHPI older adults and their families. We operate a NAPCA Senior Assistance Center for Older Adults and Caregivers and assistance is available in 5 different languages.

Q1. I have received SSRB (Social Security Retirement Benefit) since I turned 62. Will my retirement be increased when I reach my FRA (Full Retirement Age)?

 No. Because you started receiving retirement benefit earlier than your FRA, it was fixed with the reduced amount permanently. Beneficiaries can collect full amount only when they start to collectretirement at their FRA. They can delay applying for benefit up to age 70 and it will grow by around 8% every year during those delayed years.

Q2. I am a US citizen and 58 years old. My husband just passed away. He had received Social Security Retirement. Can I receive survivor’s benefits now or should I wait until I reach my retirement age? Can I get additional assistance for living even when I can receive spouse’s benefits?

 When you reach 60 years old you can apply for lifetime reduced Surviving Spouse benefit. If you qualify for retirement benefits on your own record, you can switch to your own retirement benefit as early as age 62. You can receive whichever is the higher benefit. If you wait to apply for the survivor benefit until your FRA, you will receive 100% of the SSRB your deceased spouse received.

You may be eligible for Medicaid now if your income is limited. At 65, you should apply for Medicare, and you can try to apply for SSI(Supplemental Security Income)and/or MSP (Medicare Savings Programs) depending on your income and assets.

Q3. I am 65 years old and have been in the US for 10 years by this September. I applied to be a permanent resident and will be getting my green card soon. When can I enroll into Medicare? I heard there is 5-year waiting period. Do I have to wait 5 years after I receive my green card?

To be eligible for Medicare, a person must be 65 or older and must be either a US citizen or lawfully present in the US for at least 5 continuous years. You don’t have to be a permanent resident for the entire 5 years but need to be a permanent resident when you enroll in Medicare. Your IEP (Initial Enrollment Period) starts when you receive your permanent resident notice with card and lasts for the following 3 months.

Q4.When will my Medicaid Redetermination happen? When will I get my renewal letter from the state? I haven’t gotten a letter from the state. What should I do?

 When you receive Medicaid Redetermination notice depends on when your Medicaid end date is. In general, Medicaid recipients receive renewal notice 30-60 days prior to their coverage end date but every state has their own rules. Medicaid Redetermination is currently in progress and will continue for 2023 and expected to continue on a rolling basis through 2024.

It is very important to pay close attention to all communications sent by your State Department of Health, so your renewal goes smoothly and to avoid a loss of your insurance. That is why it’s important to keep your contact information up to date. If you think you should have received your redetermination paperwork but haven’t, you can call your local Medicaid office.

0 - 0

Thank You For Your Vote!

Sorry You have Already Voted!